See more ...
Universal Day of Prayer for Students (UDPS) 2008
“Students in the 21st century”
This year the UDPS is celebrated on or around February 17th. WSCF’s Inter Regional Office has prepared the UDPS for 2008. In line with WSCF’s theme for 2008 the theme is ‘Students in the 21st Century’. Also included in the liturgy is the theme of the 34th General Assembly ‘Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy.’ We hope this liturgy can be a resource throughout this year.
Preparing for celebration of the UDPS
To prepare for this liturgy please:
- Read the liturgy through and adapt it for use in your situation. The structure is a suggestion; different parts are optional and can be modified according to your local situation.
- Organise the venue; in your university or college, in a church supportive of your SCM, or in the place where you usually gather with your group.
- Brainstorm symbolic acts to be carried out during the worship.
- Find someone or some people (student, senior friend or clergy) to prepare a sermon/reflection. It would be appropriate for the sermon/reflection to be about the scripture readings chosen or generally on Students in the 21st Century. Inviting local students to share their own experiences and to participate in the liturgy is recommended.
- Find people to lead the music
- In consultation with those who will lead the music select the songs and music for the liturgy. Suggestions are made in the order of service.
- Organise pens and pieces of paper to write their hopes for students on. Organise baskets for the pieces of paper and for offerings.
- Find people to lead the liturgy; try to have several people (women and men, students and senior friends) taking the leader’s part
- In this General Assembly year WSCF asks that offerings be collected to help students travel to the General Assembly. Announce that there will be a collection for WSCF. Send a cheque to your national SCM or to the IRO.
- Invite students and senior friends to share this liturgy.